background

Friday, January 13, 2012

To Watch or To Read; That is the Question

I watched Iron Man today. I truly believe that Iron Man was Robert Downey jr.'s renaissance. But that's not the point of this post... unfortunately. Today, I would like to discuss how movies that are based upon books and/or comic books make me want read the books or comic books. Usually, if you see the movie first, you don't like the book and if you read the book first you don't like the movie. This conundrum is exactly why I don't normally do both. If I've read the book, I'm less likely to see the movie because I don't want to be disappointed. When I watch the movie, I don't want to take the time to read the book because 1) the books are longer 2) the movie could be radically different than book and 3) I'm too lazy.

The reason behind my thoughts is because when I watch Iron Man there is a part of me that suddenly has the urge to read a comic book. But I know that I'll be disappointed. Mostly because in the comic books, Iron Man/Tony Stark aren't Robert Downey jr. and I love like him. Would Iron Man be the same in comic book format?

I can just imagine those die-hard comic book readers *coughSheldonCoopercough* who would be rising up in protest to argue with me. I'm not trying to start an argument with these people. For me, the question is simply that... a question. I've never really read a comic book before so I don't have any background.

Also, I'm afraid that if I read a comic book based on a something I've seen that I'll spend the whole time imagining the main character as the character is portrayed in the movie. It's causes me to pause and then I don't ever read the book and I just watch the movies... or vice versus.

Once again, I've written a post that I'm not entirely sure makes sense to anyone but me. Hmm... maybe next time I'll think about it more before just writing my thoughts as I think them.

Meanwhile....


Just something to get you through the night. ;)
Until Next Time,

The Hopeless Romantic

No comments:

Post a Comment