background

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fearless

 I am a wuss. I am a coward. I am chicken. I am so afraid of the consequences that may or may not occur because of something I might do, that I end up not doing it. It makes for a rather unadventureous life. Heck, an uninteresting life. I avoid situations that could potentially lead me to leave my comfort zone. To leave my safe place.
  I love Taylor Swift. I really hate that they don't put her song "Fearless" on the radio. It's such a great song and I have gotten inspiration from it more than once. I wish I were fearless. Truly fearless. I am often envious of those people who can do things I only imagine doing.
 I am afraid to show people what I'm really thinking. I am afraid of failure. Of not being good enough. I have all these fears rolling around inside me. One time, just once, I'd love to be truly fearless. But I fear I am too much of a wimp. I think too much. I stress too much about what could happen. What should happen. It is both a blessing and a curse. I'm a voice of reason. Sometimes.
 I have my adventures and I am fearless through the books I read and the movies I watch. I am fearless through my own writing. The heroine has all the characteristics I don't. Being fearless, being strong, being able to state what's on her mind.
 Jumping off a bridge into the frigid Logan River in the middle of the night in November. Finally touching his arm. A first kiss. A simple conversation. Eye contact with someone cute. Dancing on the way home from school. Singing at work.
It's really quite simple. Yet it is the hardest thing to do sometimes, being fearless.

Fearless lyrics
There's somethin' 'bout the way the street looks when it's just rained
There's a glow off the pavement, you walk me to the car
And you know I wanna ask you to dance right there
In the middle of the parking lot, yeah

We're drivin' down the road, I wonder if you know
I'm tryin' so hard not to get caught up now
But you're just so cool, run your hands through your hair
Absent-mindedly makin' me want you

And I don't know how it gets better than this
You take my hand and drag me headfirst, fearless
And I don't know why but with you I dance
In a storm in my best dress, fearless

So baby drive slow 'til we run out of road
In this one horse town, I wanna stay right here
In this passenger seat, you put your eyes on me
In this moment, now capture it, remember it

'Cause I don't know how it gets better than this
You take my hand and drag me headfirst, fearless
And I don't know why but with you I'd dance
In a storm in my best dress, fearless

Well, you stood there with me in the doorway
My hands shake, I'm not usually this way
But you pull me in and I'm a little more brave
It's the first kiss, it's flawless, really somethin'
It's fearless

'Cause I don't know how it gets better than this
You take my hand and drag me headfirst, fearless
And I don't know why but with you I'd dance
In a storm in my best dress, fearless

'Cause I don't know how it gets better than this
You take my hand and drag me headfirst, fearless
And I don't know why but with you I'd dance
In a storm in my best dress, fearless

2 comments:

  1. I don't know who it was, but someone said that you should do something every day that scares you. I say start small and work your way up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I last heard that while listening to "Wear Sunscreen" or whatever it's called. Anyway....you rock, Nikki! You've encouraged/forced me into fearlessness many a time :)

    ReplyDelete