background

Monday, January 11, 2010

A Bitter Diatribe on Poor Parenting

I attended my parents' ward on Sunday. After sitting through three hours I have been inspired to write a bitter diatribe, not on women, but on poor parenting. So I'm going to take a few minutes and get up in my soapbox and give my... probably most unwanted... opinions.
A little background on how I was raised:
My parents, whom I love and respect immensely, were often dubbed the butt kickenest parents by relatives who were mostly joking. As kids, my brothers and I, were punished when we disobeyed Mom and Dad. And our punishment was usually a spanking. They started when we were young. By the time we were a little older, around five or six or however old we may have been, the mere threat of a butt wuppin' was enough to send us back on the straight and narrow. When Mom said "No" she meant NO. And when Dad got involved... we knew we were in big trouble. And you want to know the results of our butt wuppins and having boundaries?
Both my older brothers served honorable missions and were both married to wonderful women in the temple. All four of my brothers got their Eagle Scout awards at age 14 and I got my Young Womanhood Recognition award at 14. AND all 5 of us are active in church and we are all in school.
Okay, enough of the bragging. Onto the real issue at hand.
There was an... incident... in my parents ward a week or so back involving a little girl, probably about 3 or 4. She ended up in a body cast after breaking both her femurs. She was running on the stage, her parents were no doubt smiling and laughing, thinking it was cute. And she ran through the curtains and over the edge of the stage. BAM! She's a 3/4 year old stuck in a body cast for several painful months. And you know who's fault it is? THE PARENTS! You know their excuse... The girl's grandparents' stage is longer than the one she was on. They let her do this often. Talk about negilent parenting.
So I was sitting in Sacrament meeting, attempting to hear the speakers and instead I hear Yak Yak Yak, Thud Thud Thud, bang bang bang, Waa Waa Waa, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy. Now I know that when you have little kids who are required to sit still for an hour... well they're gonna get  the wiggles. But there are quiet and Reverant ways to satisfy their short attention spans.
As I grew up, the order on the bench when we went to church was Dad, Mom and then the kids.. various orders. We were required to sit on the bench and do whatever Mom had brought for us to do. No talking, No screaming, No getting up in the middle of the meeting to go to the bathroom or get a drink.
So by the end of this meeting I was in, I was about ready to scream at all the parents and just rant at them about how horrible they're doing and how they're gonna regret not making their terrible kids behave when they reach teenage years.
(Sigh) Okay I know I've kind of just gone on and on about stuff... but I really just needed to get this off my chest. I can't stand parents and their badly behaved kids. It's like the lady who came through my line at work today, she kept telling her daughter, who had to be like 6 or 7 to get out of the basket so the groceries could be put in. The little girl didn't listen and then she proceeded to "help" by pulling all the things being sent down the belt to the bagger to her. The mom "demanded" several times the little girl get out of the basket, but the girl never did. Finally after a long time, the mom finally walked over and physically pulled the girl out of the basket. Of course the little girl was fit to be tied. The whole time I'm just cussing the lady out because her kid is bugging the crap out of me and I'm pretty sure out of the bagger too.
When I say to punish kids... I don't mean to beat them or to physically hurt them beyond necessary. A small spanking would suffice in most cases. They'll learn that when Mom says no and they don't listen they're gonna get a spanking. Also, teach the kids that they aren't allowed to spank others or their parents. I don't care what people say when they go on about how kids need choices too. THEY'RE KIDS! They are not capable of fully making choices for themselves yet. That's what the parent is there for. GOSH!
Okay, so I've run out of steam. But believe me I could go on and on if  I really wanted to. I have seen so many examples of poor parenting with my job at Maceys. And I have vowed to never be a poor parent. And yes, I admit here and now, I will probably spank my child. And they're not going to be emotionally scarred or going to need therapy. Kids need boundaries.
That is all. I end here. I get of my soapbox and I'm gonna go on with my life. I just had to express my feelings on this topic. And now, I feel a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment