background

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Cubicle Next Door

The other day I went to the public library for the first time in months. As I wandered the stacks, I couldn't quite figure out what I wanted to read. If you know me, you know that I can spend literally HOURS in the library. On this particular day, I was there for nearly two hours and I didn't even make it through the entire alphabet. But I had a stack of five books and I figured that would tide me over the long weekend.

I'd picked up this book called The Cubicle Next Door. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to read it but I read the end (yes I do that if I'm not sure if I want to actually read the whole thing or not) and I was intrigued. Well, I absolutely LOVED it. I started reading it on Saturday night around 9:30 or 10 and stayed up until 3 am reading. It was so good. It wasn't one of those change-your-life-forever books but it was just so... good.

It's about this girl who works at the Air Force Academy and is forced to divide her office into two cubicles so that a new teacher has an office space. The new Air Force teacher is a man... a very attractive man. But this girl, Jackie, isn't a typical girl. Due to her parents' mistakes, she has made a vow to never fall in love. She's 31 and she's never been kissed and never really dated much. (Besides the ten year difference, she sounds a lot like somebody I know really well.) The teacher, Joe, is this super nice guy who starts to help Jackie have fun. Oh, and Jackie also has a blog. Her blog isn't about much at first, just her opinions and things that bug her. But soon her blog starts to talk about 'John Smith' aka Joe. In the beginning it's all about how he annoys her and such. When her blog gets national attention as being a blog about love, Joe starts to read it. That's when things get complicated.

So what did I like about this book? I liked that it was clean. I liked that the main character was so confused and unsure of herself (like it is in real life). And I liked that she was older and really quite inexperienced in the ways of love and relationships. Also, I liked Joe. He was nice and he genuinely liked Jackie. He wasn't trying to lure her down the dark path to his bed or trying to corrupt her. He just wanted her to try new things and to have fun. And he didn't give up on her. Oh and I liked the blog. That was such an awesome idea.

I got the book from the library but because I liked it so much I'm going to purchase it for myself. I liked it that much. I'm also contemplating whether or not I want to try the authors other books too. Hmm... I guess we'll see won't we.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment