background

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Underdogs (of writing)

Remember that post about The Cubicle Next Door? (It was just this morning after all.) Well that book made me realize something... besides the fact that men in uniform are... nice. Uh, anyway, back to what I was saying. This book made me realize that I find books by relative unknowns better than those books that make the best seller's list. I like to read books by 'the underdogs' (the unknowns).

You're thinking "so what?". I'll tell you so what! ...actually I don't know what. All I know is that when you look at my collection of books, most of them are by unknowns. They don't/won't make the best seller's list. They don't have millions of readers. What they do have, however, are loyal fans. Like me.

Of course, maybe the reason I like these unknowns is because they satisfy what I'm looking for in a book. A clean, funny, light romance. I guess they don't always have to be a romance. That's just what I generally gravitate towards. That shouldn't be a surprise. I mean, look at the title of my blog. But I like these stories that these authors write. And I like reading things by the 'underdog'.

On another level, I think one of the reasons I like these underdog authors is because I'll probably be one someday. That is if I can ever finish a book. I have a nasty habit of leaving off in the middle of a story. But that's a discussion for another day. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think I'm the kind of girl that will ever be famous. And, although a part of me would like to be rich and famous, the realistic part of me would rather be someone who touches a handful of people with my writing. It's like my quote says at the top of the page: I don't wish to be everything to everyone, but I would like to be something to someone. 

I don't want to be a big deal. I just want someone to pick up one of my books and know that when they put it down, they'll put it down with a smile and a more positive look on life. That's not to say that I'm trying to write self help books or anything. I write what I enjoy reading. But the point is that I want to bring joy into the world, one written word at a time. I want to be the underdog that gives other underdogs a good day... well a good read anyway. 

I don't know if this even makes sense or if it's even something that is worth it to most people. But this is essentially what keeps me writing, this idea that one day, I might be able to lift somebody's spirits from my books and my characters. This is why I like The Cubicle Next Door and my favorite author of all time. They are underdogs (so to speak) whose books I put down with a smile and a sigh, ready to go face the nitty-gritty world and the all the ups and downs of life. One day, I hope to be that author. I just have to finish a book...

No comments:

Post a Comment