background

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Stigma of an English Major

Typical conversation for a college student (more specifically me):

Random Person (RP): What are you studying?
Me: English with an emphasis in Professional and Technical Writing.

Response one:
RP: So you going to be a teacher?

Me: No. I'm going to be a technical writer.
 RP: *blank stare* So what do you want do with that?
Me: Uh, be a writer?
RP: Oh. That's nice.
Response two: (Which I like better)

RP: Oh. That's good. There's good money in that field. My son/cousin/daughter/friend/uncle/neighbor is a technical writer... blah blah blah.
Me: Yeah. I like it.

So this brings me to my point of this post. Why the heck do people AUTOMATICALLY assume that just because I'm an English major that I want to be or am going to be a teacher? Let me say this once and for all: I AM NOT GOING TO BE A TEACHER. Nor do I have the desire or the capabilities to be a teacher.

I JUST WANT TO BE A WRITER!



*deep breath* Okay. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Until Next Time,

The Hopeless Romantic

No comments:

Post a Comment