background

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Ten Things That Get Me Through

I woke up this morning and knew it was going to be a bad morning. I laid in bed staring blindly up at the ceiling. I normally ninja-roll out of bed every morning. I finally got up and brushed my teeth and cleaned off my day old mascara. But then I laid back on my bed and stared at the ceiling for awhile. I didn't want to go to school. I didn't want to do anything really. I wanted to simply exist.

Very rarely, I'll have days like this and usually there's some kind of trigger. I'm not sure what the trigger is today. It could be a combination of things. It could be a few sleepless nights. The question mark that is my future. The recent loss of my younger brother. The overwhelming task of school. Or simply hormones.

I decided to skip school today except for the one class that I had homework due. I took my time getting showered and ready. I watched an episode of What Not To Wear. I went to the store and got a can of pumpkin pie mix for my pumpkin bars and then I left for my class.

As I was walking to campus, still debating whether I really wanted to go to this class or not, I caught the scent of freshly cut grass. I thought to myself, "I like the smell of cut grass." Somehow that train of thinking got me to the topic of this post: Ten things that get me through days like today. The first five are in order and the rest are pretty random.

1) Heavenly Father loves me and He is mindful of me.

2) My family loves me (even when I do stupid stuff like skip school).

3) My friends are there for me, especially Michelle who lets me vent and be a whiny baby sometimes.

4) Tomorrow is another day and it can only be better than today. I just have to fight the fight and make it til then.

5) Writing

6) Reading

7) Dr. Pepper

8) Chocolate/ice cream (some days they are tied)

9) TV and/or movies that help me escape the real world for a brief time.

10) The pleasant truth that my days as an undergrad student are numbered.

So there you go. That's the list of things that help me get through it. Even as I wrote these things out, I felt myself climbing just a little higher out of this slump. Perhaps as the day continues, I'll find my way out. 

Hope your day is going better than mine.

Until Next Time,

Simply Nic

2 comments:

  1. I love this (and you!). Feel free to vent and whine to me at any time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Michelle's comment. Wholeheartedly!! :)

    ReplyDelete