background

Monday, April 9, 2012

Potter Meets Skywalker

I sort of have an obsessive personality.  But you probably already know this. When I get stuck on something, I tend to be stuck until the next thing can come along and distract me. Sometimes my obsessions cross paths and then it becomes a big old mess. I'm sure you're shaking your head, wondering what the crazy I'm talking about.

Let me get to the point. I went a little wonky in the head and started comparing Harry Potter to Star Wars (the original three) during a Star Wars marathon with my friend, Michelle. It wasn't an intentional plan, to look for similarities. It just happened. And the more we watched, the more I thought it was funny that it actually seemed to work. There are many similarities between the two shows/sets of characters.

Shall we proceed to the comparisons? It's not extensive but still interesting... to me at least.

Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter 

They are both orphans who are given a "mission" of sorts. They are surrounded by friends, more like plucky sidekicks, who love and support them. They both possess either magical or... "The Force" abilities. They both defeat the bad guy in the end.







Princess Leia and Hermione Granger




Both are smart, pretty (at least in the movie version of HP), and good at what they do. Both women
put their lives, careers/school work on the line to help the hero accomplish what he needs to.

Han Solo and Ron Weasley




Both are pretty skeptical but become loyal to the hero. They also both get the girl in the end. That's about where the similarities end.








Dumbledore and Obi-Wan Kenobi/Yoda




They are the mentors to the hero. They all die at some point in the hero's journey to defeating the bad guy. They are all old. 









Darth Vader and Lord Voldemort






 The bad guy. Gets defeated.









Darth Vader and Professor Severus Snape




A good guy who went bad but then came back to the good side (eventually).









There you go. It wasn't as awesome as I planned it to be but that's okay.

Until Next Time,

The Hopeless Romantic

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! I enjoy where you say that Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Dumbledore are all old.

    ReplyDelete