background

Monday, April 9, 2012

Writers: Why I Hate Them

I don't really hate writers or else I'd hate myself. And I don't hate myself. Or other writers. It's just... well, we writers are a manipulative sort, aren't we?

Before I go any further, let me explain. The other day, I was chatting with my friend, Michelle about some of our favorite television programs (Castle, Bones... are there any other shows out there? Just kidding!) But we were talking about these two in particular. There had been a new development on the show, Castle, and Michelle is really one of the only people I can hash it out with. So we were talking about it and what we thought may or may not happen to the characters and the topic got switched to the hiatus of BONES. Then the characters of BONES. We both agreed that the writers always seemed mess things up... more specifically how the character of Dr. Brennan would know something one episode and then be completely clueless the next. Quite annoying.

That's when we both sort of sighed and said, "I hate writers." at the same time.

 It's not that we really hate writers. We just don't like the manipulation of characters that happen on our favorite shows. What are writers other than manipulators of characters. Whether in tv shows or novels, writers are the ones pulling the strings. They make the characters, the setting, the language, everything that exists in the world they create. And we, the viewers or the readers, are at their mercy.

Whats the worst of it all is that we take it. We take the random character changes, the continuity issues, the manipulation of our emotions.  We just shrug and say to ourselves, "It's the writers", or "the character would act like that in the situation", or other such things. It's not true though.

But what are we going to do? Demand that the writers know everything about their fictional characters and make sure that they do everything the way they are "supposed" to. It's a fictional world they have created. And they are the creators, they can do whatever the heck they want.

I don't like being manipulated. But I do like being entertained. And what are writers, especially TV writers, if not entertainers... well not the actual entertainers so much as the ones behind the scripts making the entertainers entertaining.

And I know, we'll all keep taking it. Because we like the show, the characters, the actors, the story. Whatever the reason, most of us will keep holding on, hoping that this episode with stay true to the story and the characters. That this will be the episode that blows our minds.

Or maybe that's just me. But I'm all about the hope of a happy ending... even with writers running the show.

Until Next Time,

The Hopeless Romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment