background

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Only I could ruin a cookie mix

I was unexpectedly invited to a friend's family dinner/gathering. I had about an hour and a half before the gathering and I felt that I should show up with something. (This stems from my family gathering which are potluck and people bring food with them.) Unfortunately, it was Sunday and I don't shop on Sunday. Thankfully though, my sister-in-law had a box of cookie mix that she gratefully donated to my cause.

I have the box and I pull out the ingredients: an egg and a tablespoon of butter. Easy enough right? ...Wrong. I didn't read the instructions well enough before I threw the butter in and then cracked the egg over top. That's when I saw the tablespoon of softened butter. Whoops. I forgot to soften the butter. Now, before you shake your head and judge me for not knowing to soften the butter before throwing it into the mix, let me defend myself. I don't bake much. Heck, I don't cook much. I'm pretty much only good for cleaning when in the kitchen. So, I was standing here with a bowl of cookie mix, egg, and a lump of butter. How was I supposed to mix this up? Was it completely ruined? Then I stuck my (clean) hands in and started mixing up the dough... well what was supposed to be dough.

The cookies are edible. They don't look like much but they can be eaten. And I plopped them on a paper plate, covered it with foil, and jumped in my car. I pulled up to the house to see some people getting out... but they had no food containers. They didn't bring any food. I sat for a moment, debating within myself: take in the cookies or leave them in my car. Hmm...

I left them in the car. I wasn't going to show up with some half-baked (metaphorically) cookies when no one else brought anything. I'd rather go in empty handed than embarrass myself.

What did I learn from this experience? Keep my own stock of baked good mixes (No offense Suzanne) on hand and read the directions more carefully. Also, be prepared to show up empty handed but try to be thoughtful and bring something. Did that make sense? So maybe... I didn't learn much more than to read directions more carefully. I was just like the people I mock often who don't read the directions or the closed signs. That's something for me to improve.

Until Next Time,

The Hopeless Romantic

No comments:

Post a Comment