background

Monday, October 17, 2011

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly...

Okay, so the title is taken directly from Kelly Clarkson's song Breakaway. A song I happen to like lots and lots. I was driving home from a visit with my parents when this song came on the radio. I've liked it since it came out but for some reason it really struck me this time around.

Here's why. I graduate with a degree in English with an emphasis in Technical and Professional writing. Here's a confession: I don't know if I really want to do that. Mostly, I've been just trying to reach that goal of getting my degree... in something I'd enjoy doing. As I've gotten closer to that end goal, I've become increasingly aware that I'm not really into it. It doesn't make me happy. I don't mind doing it. But I don't mind my current low paying job. I want to find something that I'd be somewhat happy doing.

The whole reason this has been plaguing me lately is because I've been stuck in this mindset that I have to have my whole future planned as soon as I graduate from school. I've always that I'd have everything planned and figured out by the time graduation rolled around. I don't.

I don't have anything planned. And you know what? That's okay. I've decided to take what would be "spring semester" and just figure out what I'm going to do next. I mean, I have a job that pays the bills and I can go full time there. And I have a place to live. It's not like I'm going to be jobless and homeless as soon as I get my degree in hand.

What I really want to be when I grow up is a writer. A fiction writer to be more exact. I've always thought I was a good writer (please correct me if I'm wrong thought) and I've always had story ideas running through my head. I would be okay with a job that pays the bills and still gives me time to write. (At least, at this point I think I would be.) And the good news is that this isn't a permanent thing. If I decide that I want to give technical writing a shot, I still have a degree and the knowledge to get caught with the current trends and technologies.

Along with writing, I think I'd like to be a librarian (yes, I have blogged about this before). So if I want to take that path, I'll need to go for a masters. At this point, I'm nowhere ready to apply and do all that it takes to getting into grad school by January. Plus, I don't have the money to pay for graduate school. I could spend a year and a half working (somewhere) and saving money for that.

Basically, I just want to admit in writing that I don't have to have it all figured out by the time graduation comes along in eight-ish weeks. (Holy crud!!) My life isn't suddenly going to come to a complete standstill if I don't have a career/job lined up as soon as I get out of school. I've been in school for 19 years (this is including two years of pre-school because in my mind, that counts). It would be nice to have a break and just work and to know what I've accomplished- getting a bachelors.

So I'm going to "take a risk, take a chance, make a change, and breakaway." (Feel free to sing this out loud or in your head- I did.)

Until Next Time,

The Hopeless Romantic

No comments:

Post a Comment