background

Monday, March 14, 2011

I write so somebody else can read it

If someone had come up to me a year and a half ago and said that I'd be a 'blogger' I would have laughed in their face. I'd never, in my wildest dreams (and I have very wild dreams), thought that I would be blogging. Part of me still feels weird every time I get on and start typing. As one of my professor once told me, blogging is very narcissistic. Although I don't claim to be a narcissist, I can see where she got that from. Blogging usually is about the blogger and not necessarily the topic of the blog or the post.

So why did I start blogging? Looking back, I feel like an outsider looking in on someone else's life. I remember thinking that it would be cool. I'm not even sure why I decided to start one or how I got started. I think I Googled it. I didn't know what I wanted to accomplish. I even chose a dorky title for the blog. Even today, I think about changing the name but it's such a hassle that I can't bring myself to do it. Plus, I think the hopeless romantic title suits me.

I don't consider myself a great writer. I think I'm a decent writer but I always find my flaws and I'm always aware that I need to improve my writing skills. I find that blogging gives me practice. When I look back to my earlier post, I can see improvement in my writing. At least, I think there's improvement. I could be wrong.

But I love to write, whether I'm good or not. There's something about the written word that just draws me to the computer or the pen and paper. The need to express myself through words cannot be denied. I think that's one of the reasons I've enjoyed my blog so much. I write with the mindset that someone besides me is going to read it. It's about affecting somebody else. Affecting their life with what I have to say. (Is that narcissistic? Because I don't mean for it to be.)

Maybe my goal... my purpose... my whatever it is, is too far beyond my reach. I don't know if I'll ever write anything that could affect someone's life. I don't know if I'm that good of a writer. But the point is... I'm going to try. I'm not out to change the world. I'm not out for self-acclaim. I'm just want to make someone else feel better about their day or their life or their job or whatever.

I write so somebody else can read it.

Until Next Time,

The Hopeless Romantic

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I suggested that you start blogging way back when. I'm not sure if that influenced you at all, but I'm taking full credit for it anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete