background

Monday, April 5, 2010

The Cowboys

It's been a long time since I've seen "The Cowboys" (1972). And all I can remember from it is the kid getting trampled and some kid with glasses. This is certainly not one of my all time favorite John Wayne movies. But he does an excellent job as Wil Anderson- a tough, old cowboy who has no one to help him get his herd to Belle Larauche (or whatever the town's name is).

It's a compelling story about kids who learn how to be men all because one man took a chance on them. I like it for that reason. 
I guess if you know me, you know that I'm more of light hearted kind of gal. I like the movies with a hint (or more) of romance and a cute story line. A little drama is okay and some action too. 

"The Cowboys" is a little too serious for me but I enjoyed it all the same. I really like how John Wayne starts to harden the boys and the boys start to soften him. It's sweet. But he tries to hide it all the same. Makes me wonder what happens when the cowboys make it home. 

Next in line: McLintock!


No comments:

Post a Comment