background

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

El Dorado

For some reason, "El Dorado" is one of my favorite John Wayne movies. I'm not really sure why but I just really enjoy it. Maybe it has to do with the undercurrent of humor that runs throughout the movie. Or maybe it's not supposed to be funny. Oh well I am entertained. 

I never really realized before that James Caan was in this movie. He looks so young... and attractive. Ah, Mississippi. How you make my heart pound. Ha ha. Not really. But he is pretty attractive. The sad thing is though... he can't shoot a gun worth junk. He is pretty nifty with a knife though. And I like to think that he ends up with Joey MacDonald, cuz that girl has got some volume going on with her hair. It's like a shampoo commercial. 
Of course, John Wayne did an excellent job as Cole Thornton, a hired gun. And Robert Mitchum was also very good as a drunk. Although I did feel bad when he had to sober up and he kept clutching his stomach. Made me want to throw up for him. Not that I need to throw up... just sayin'... 
My one thing is that I'm not really sure what the whole thing was with McLeod and the sheriff and Cole. Was it over the water rights that Jason was after from MacDonald? Or was it something a little more personal, for McLeod anyway? Was he out to try and best Cole as one of the fastest guns around?

All in all, it was a good night... except for when my roommate Kelli asked "Which one is John Wayne?" Talk about a sucker punch to the gut. How can you not know who John Wayne is!? That's simply unpatriotic! 

Next movie is "The Cowboys."

2 comments:

  1. Um, OK. Enough of the blaming me for not knowing what exactly John Wayne looks like!!! Good grief. Let's get over it and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know what John Wayne looks like?! Kelli, I love you, but that's just wrong! I can't believe this!!! :P

    ReplyDelete