background

Monday, March 29, 2010

Hondo

The second movie in my John Wayne Movie Marathon was Hondo, made in 1953. It was a good one. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It started rather abruptly but I felt that it was effective in introducing the characters and the story. This movie was in color unlike Stagecoach, but it could've been in black and white and it still would have been awesome!

I have to say that John Wayne's character, Hondo Lane, was really great. He exuded the usual John Wayne arrogance and had a way of making the audience, me, like him even if he is a little rough around the edges. "A man ought to do what he thinks is best.

Of course I enjoyed the little romance that blossomed between Hondo Lane and the recently widowed Angie Lowe. I thought that it was sweet. Especially because Angie's husband was a total dirtbag who abandon his wife and son and tried to kill Hondo. My all time favorite line from this movie: "I don't guess that people's hearts got anything to do with a calendar." How cute! And then he kisses the crap outta her! OH YEAH!!! 

Anyway, I found this movie to be exceptionally well done and I enjoyed it immensely. It did end a little fast though. There was the intense Apache chasing them scene and then suddenly it just ended and they kept on going. It could've possibly ended a little better but all in all it wasn't too bad of an ending.

Next on my list: "Red River". 

No comments:

Post a Comment